So last week we finally had our first (BIG) snowstorm of the winter! Yay! I was excited to see that frozen white stuff falling from the sky. Mostly because it means that there is going to be a little more moisture in the ground for the crops to utilize when they wake up from winter hibernation. It also is putting the crops that were waking up back to sleep for a while and thats a good thing.
So last Wednesday morning (about 6 AM) it started snowing these HUGE snow flakes. I had to take the Mr. to his semi to get to work for the day. A trip that should have taken about 15 minutes took just over 30 minutes. I called work to see what was going on and decided that it wasnt going to get any better so I took a snow day. I stopped by the grocery store to make sure I could get through the next couple days and headed back home from there. It continued to snow through the day as I worked on my kitchen (that will be in the next post). Michael had to haul cows in the snow all morning and found a pickup to drive home that afternoon so I wouldn't have to go get him. By Wednesday evening we had probably 10 or so inches of snow. It continued to snow through the night and all day Thursday. I called in Thursday and was told not to worry about coming in because the roads were terrible and it was still snowing. We ended up with probably 18 inches of snow from the storm. Thursday afternoon the snow stopped and the roads were cleared for travel.
Friday I went back to work. It was a slow day at the office of course, but at least I made it to work.
I also worked Saturday. The roads were great by then so I went to Great Bend after work and worked out at Anytime Fitness. I did Day One of Week One of the Couch to 5k (again). It about killed me. Then I went to WalMart and did a little shopping. People were starting to get concerned about the next snow storm predicted for Monday so that place was insane. I also did a little thrift
Sunday we got up and went to breakfast in town. Then we went and got the fixins for chili for that evening. Michael went out to work on getting the loader running in case this next blizzard did move in and I did the final coat of paint on the trim and doors in the kitchen as the chili cooked in the crock pot. We had company that evening and then the snow started.
Monday morning we woke up to all the tracks we had made being filled in with new snow. I thought it didnt look that bad and hadnt heard anything from work so I got ready to go. I made it a pickup length out of the driveway and realized I wasnt going to make it though the drifts. I called the boss and he had just made it home and said to stay home. It snowed through the day Monday and was still snowing when we went to bed.
View from the front porch
Trooper and Lanky
Lanky guarding the house
Tuesday I decided to try again. The roads had been opened up by neighbors the day before but had drifted shut again over night. There was no going to work unless someone came by to open the roads.
Michael got the loader out so he could maybe get our road open. After successfully getting it stuck in the road he gave up for a while. After waiting most of the day we decided no one was going to come to our rescue. He decided to go out and try again. He managed to open the road wide enough to get a pickup through. People are going to be upset if they try our road today and figure out they can only get as far as our house. Hopefully the township man makes it through our road today so we dont have to worry about it.
Before
the loader stuck in the snow
the start of the path
Our snow vehicle
the pickup path finally cleared
Just me
Michael and the pups playing in the drift
So the Blizzard of Oz allowed me to have 4 out of 7 days off for snow! Back to work today and hoping the sun will come out and melt some of it down! Sorry for the rambling.







No comments:
Post a Comment